I may have mentioned earlier

That I hate personality profiles like Myers-Briggs.  In fact, I once walked out of an ACHE Region 7 Conference when it started out with a personality profile. That's why I resonated with Steve Tobak's recent The Corner Office in BNET.com.

Why People Don't Change
Don’t get me wrong; I have changed a lot since then. But what the DiSC program revealed had nothing to do with it. I changed when my goals changed - for reasons we’ll get to in a minute - and I realized the behavior that had served me in the past was no longer effective.

That’s what this post is about: the difference between identifying behavioral characteristics, which DiSC and similar programs like Myers-Briggs are probably very good at, and actually doing something about it, i.e. modifying behavior, which is a whole different ball game.

The real value of behavioral profiles systems

Not only was the DiSC system dead-on, it also provided tips on how I can be more effective and showed my staff why I behaved like a lunatic from time to time. That said, I think the real value in the exercise was that, for a day, we all got to be on the same level discovering what each of us was really all about. I remember it being fun and disarming.

Personally, I think we achieved similar results from our quarterly dinners out - getting to know each other in a different setting over good food and even better wine. That made it easier to face issues and crises together, as a team. We could look each other in the eye and know there’s a real live person with real emotions in there, beneath the bravado and confidence we project as part of our daily lives as executives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completion