Rock and roll, hoochie koo

Unfortunately, as a former English major, interpreting lyrics is what I do.  I can't help myself. And lyrics are important.  Take that song "I'm Already There" by Lonestar.  Those lyrics irritate the heck out of me.  What does it mean, "I'm already there?"  He's not there; he's on the phone.  Is he dead?  Evidently not, because he's calling from somewhere else.  But at least his being a ghost would explain why he's the "shadow on the ground" and the "whisper in the wind."  Next time I'm late for a meeting I'll tell my boss: I'm already there. Take a look around.

Tom Hawking, writing in The Atlantic, has a nice listing of misunderstood songs including "Born in the USA." 

The Most Misunderstood Songs in Rock History
“Born in the USA” by Bruce Springsteen
No, Rush Limbaugh/Ronald Reagan/homebrew patriotic YouTube video makers, this is not a flag-waving anthem proclaiming Bruce’s love of the US of A. It’s the tale of an embittered Vietnam veteran who was “sent off to fight the yellow man” and returned in a hell of mess, only to be forgotten by the country that sent him off to fight and die. Which lends a particularly bitter lashing of irony to the fact that continues to be co-opted as some sort of right-wing rallying song, doesn’t it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completion