Tales of the non-tradtional

More news on adult and continuing education students.  Janitors seem to be completing degrees in record numbers.  I hereby dub it the Goodwill Hunting Effect. From Stltoday.com.

School janitor comes full circle with college graduation
For a decade, Toby Meyer has scrubbed the toilets and mopped the floors of the Maryland Heights elementary school he attended as a boy.

Becoming a janitor was something he had never imagined doing. Not very cool for a 20-year-old.

"When I was younger, I looked at it as a beneath-me kind of job," said Meyer.

"I really hated the job at first. I didn't want to be seen as a custodian. When I started, I said: 'I'm just going to take the job to get me back on my feet.'"

Today, at 30, he talks fondly about the job at Rose Acres Elementary School in the Pattonville School District that got him out from in front of the TV and ultimately landed him in university lecture halls.

"At the time, I was pretty much a couch potato — a little past the age of doing that," Meyer said. "I really had no idea what I wanted to do with my life."

He graduated Sunday from the University of Missouri-St. Louis, with a degree in elementary education, becoming the first person in his family with a college diploma.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completion