Although I worry about friends like this

Samuel Goldman takes note of continuing education in The American Conservative.  He wants to send more students our way. And that's a good thing.  I think.

U. of All People

I don’t have the answers to these questions. But I want to propose a distinction that may make it easier to figure them out. Let’s restrict the term “college” to four-year degrees in the arts and sciences, taught by faculty engaged in independent research and geared toward traditional, often residential students. Let’s call the constellation of part-time, vocational, non-residential programs geared toward non-traditional students “higher and continuing ed.” 
Even though they’re sometimes housed in an umbrella organization called a university, these seem to me to be rather different businesses. When it comes to funding and their connection to the public interest, they should be evaluated differently. My suspicion is that the country really doesn’t need more students in college, which is largely a status marker. But it would benefit from better and cheaper higher and continuing ed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completion