Trust me, I'm a doctor...

I do tend to roll my eyes at folks who insist on being called doctor.  It reminds me of Little Shop of Horrors, and at least that guy was a dentist:
Orin Scrivello D.D.S.: [yells] Is somebody talking to you?!
Audrey: [says nervously] Oh, no...excuse me.
Orin Scrivello D.D.S.: Excuse me what?!
Audrey: Excuse me.....doctor.  
This comes from The Chronicle of Higher Education.

That's Dr. So-and-So to You

Little seems to inspire as much passion among academics as the question of titles. How scholars feel about them often depends on their age, gender, race, upbringing, educational experiences, and standing in the academic world. 
For some, being called "Dr." is clearly a serious matter. They view the title as hard-earned, after the seven or more years of work and sacrifice they have put into a doctoral degree, and they believe those who don't use it are breaching professional etiquette. Some Ph.D.'s say they use their title as more of a practical matter, to establish authority in the classroom and to separate themselves from students. 
But others scoff at the use of honorifics. Insisting on being referred to as "Dr." is gauche, these critics say, and often betrays an insecurity about identity, accomplishments, or academic status.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completion