After one of my milestone birthdays last week

Like Peter Gabriel said, I guess I don't mind so much being old, as I mind being fat and old.  From CBS MoneyWatch.

Time to rethink what "old" is
Through much of my life, "old" has been someone who's about 20 years older than me. If I continue applying this definition, in the not-to-distant future, old will be someone who's most certainly dead. So, I need to rethink my definition of old. 
First, let's look at some statistics that give us new insights on recent improvements in longevity. Then let's look beyond the numbers to see how we really feel about age and "oldness." 
Many people think of age in chronological terms -- as in the number of years lived. To them, someone is old when they've reached an advanced age, such as 65, 75 or 85. However, instead of looking at age as the number of years you've lived, why not think about it with respect to the numbers of years you have remaining? 
With this in mind, actuaries and demographers might define "old" as someone who's reached their life expectancy from birth using the mortality rates currently prevailing in the population, rather than relying on arbitrary age milestones. According to a report from the Stanford Center on Longevity, in 1950, life expectancy at birth was age 66 for a man and 71 for a woman. So, back then those ages might have been considered old. 
By 2010, however, life expectancy at birth had increased to 75 for a man and 80 for a woman, so "old" increased by nine years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completion